The Nikon P610 is one of the many cameras on the market, and with so many different options to choose from, we wanted to see how it fares against its competitors. The Nikon CoolPix 610 is a bridge DSLR camera, meaning that it is designed as a type of “ease in” to the full DSLR cameras. These typically give more creative options within the settings of the camera as well as with the ability to change lenses.
These cameras are a great option for new users, traveling users, or anyone wanting to experiment with the field. Even with the added DSLR options, this alone does not make it unique in competition, so we researched other options to see exactly where the Nikon P610 fit.
WHAT IS THE NIKON COOLPIX P610?
The Nikon P610 is a bridge DSLR camera, which means it has a variety of detachable lens options and a manual shooting mode that allows for specific modifications in picture taking, but also has simpler options that will be more familiar to SLR users. This type of camera is built to aid point-and-shoot users in switching over to DSLR cameras. It is also a good option for users starting out in photography who need a less expensive gateway to the field or something to carry with them on travels.
Having detachable lenses is a coveted option for photographers, as it allows such a wide range of zoom as well as photo taking styles like wide angle or macro. The ability to tweak the way the camera takes photos in manual mode opens nearly unlimited options for the resulting picture, which makes this a desired option in any type of camera.
The Nikon P610 has 16 megapixels and includes a 4.3-258 mm 60x optical zoom lens, creating amazing zoom abilities. It has built in GPS and Wi-Fi for travelers to connect on the go, and 1080p HD video shooting ability as well as a time lapse shooting option. It can shoot 7 frames per second and has additional creative shooting modes to create unique shots, as well as a manual mode for those wanting to understand or play with a full DSLR camera.
The Nikon CoolPix P610 can be purchased for a bit affordable price, making it one of the less expensive DSLR options on the market. We found some well-priced listings and included them below.
We want to note that the camera body can be purchased by itself, and while this is a much less expensive option, you will not be able to shoot without a lens.
HOW IT COMPARES
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare. We used these five criteria: Price, Ease of Use, Accessories Included, Design quality, and Warranty. During out research, we found these criteria most fully matched with the defining characteristics we were looking for in each model we reviewed.
By conducting this research first, we aim to make this comparison complete and full-comprehendible, but also to the point.
- 60x optical zoom super telephoto lens and a low-light 16.0 MP CMOS image sensor
- Swiveling Vari-angle display and high-resolution eye-level viewfinder
- Artistic shooting modes, effects and filters
- Built-in Wi-Fi and near field communication technology for instant sharing
- Built-in GPS and Points of Interest (POI)
The specs we have detailed are the main features of the Nikon P610. It offers a variety of common features as well as standard additions, but it was the creative specs that led us to reviewing and researching this specific model. We have broken down the criteria we specified above to separate this model into categories we feel everyone needs information on, and to give ourselves a base system to compare other modes as well.
When shopping, keep in mind that you can oftentimes buy just the body of the camera for much less. So, if you are looking to get a different lens or will not be using the standard lens it provides, it may be worth it to buy the body first and then buy a separate lens later.
EASE OF USE
The Nikon P610 is built to be easy to hold and shoot with. It offers sturdy grips on both sides of the camera for holding and stabilization, as well as an easy-to-navigate menu. While it does not have a touchscreen, the simplicity of the menu is easy to explore as well as navigate. The rotating shooting screen is one of its best features. Being able to adjust the screen depending on shooting angles and light reflection is crucial to understanding the results of each shot.
While we recommend this model for those familiar with cameras who would make use of its manual and creative modes, it is simple enough to use for beginners who want to explore and learn as well.
This model can come with or without the lens (body only), but beyond that, its accessories are fairly standard. The box will include a rechargeable batter and charging AC adapter, a lens cap, strap, and USB cable. Each of these accessories is necessary though (especially the strap—we would recommend having a strap as soon as you have a camera), so we found it fair to give it full stars.
The added artistic and creative abilities of this model backed by Nikon’s reputation and system specs give the Nikon P610 full stars. It was obvious to us when comparing this model to its predecessor (CoolPix P600) that thought to better design was forefront for the Nikon P610.
Nikon has a 1-year warranty for the camera and its accessories, as well as an option for an extended warranty. However, we felt 4 out of 5 stars was more appropriate as the warranty does not include anything more than manufacturer faults.
- INCLUDES: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Digital Camera + Altura Photo Camera Bag with Shoulder Strap + Altura Photo Rapid Fire Wrist Strap + 67MM Altura Photo Professional Photography Filter Kit (UV-CPL-ND4) + 67mm Lens Adapter for Canon Powershoot SX530 + Altura Photo Cleaning Kit + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth.
- HIGH ACTION PERFORMANCE: Features a 16.1MP high-sensitivity CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 6 image processor, bright 3" LCD and an electronic viewfinder, perfect for shooting interiors and landscapes.
- HIGH TECH SPECS: Includes 65x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom with an optical image stabilizer, easy to capture 1080p HD video. (Includes: Canon NB-10L battery pack and charger, neck strap and lens cap)
- CANON brand accessories included: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Digital Camera + NB-10L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack + CB-2LC Charger for NB-10L Battery + NS-DC11 Neck Strap + Lens Cap with Strap + Canon Limited 1-Year Warranty
- CANON AUTHORIZED DEALER. Includes Canon USA Warranty.
The Canon PowerShot is a bridge DSLR camera. It also has an impressive 65x optical zoom with a 35mm range, making it a great option for nature photography. It has 16.1 megapixels and can shoot a little over 6 frames per second. It can also shoot full HD video with stereo sound, and also has a flip out screen for rotating views and angles, which is incredibly helpful in most photography settings.
For the specs, we feel that this is almost a fair price. However, because of the megapixels being on the lower end, we feel that the price may be a little high. The optical zoom is a great feature to have, especially for photographers who shoot mainly outdoors. However, the megapixels can affect the resulting photos and may even take away from the zoom in that way.
EASE OF USE
This model is built well and includes a rotating screen to adjust the view depending on shooting angle and light. However, there is only one grip available, which means stabilization is sacrificed at least a little.
This model includes standard accessories, i.e. a rechargeable battery, AC adapter, lens cap, and strap.
While the design is overall well-built with the menu being easy to navigate and it does include a wide grip, the lack of a second stabilizing grip knocked down our rating here. Having the stabilizing grip is great for long range and close up shots, so we felt it was a common enough need for it to be necessary to have.
Canon includes a 1-year warranty for manufacture errors for the camera and its accessories. While this is both standard and a good length, we feel that only covering manufacture issues brings down the rating.
- POINT-AND-SHOOT LONG ZOOM CAMERA: 18.1-megapixel MOS sensor plus 60X zoom DC VARIO lens (20-1220mm) and POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) captures far off moments
- HIGH-RESOLUTION VIEWFINDER AND LCD DISPLAY: High-resolution 1,170K-dot viewfinder and rear touch-enabled 3-inch LCD display (1040 dots) are clear even in bright sunlight
- 4K VIDEO CAPTURE: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus with internal Focus Stacking allows you to record photos up to 30fps and set your desired focus points after the photo has been taken
- LOW-LIGHT PERFORMANCE: Low-light capture lets you enjoy photography during your nightlife again with impressive results
- USB CHARGING AND WI-FI CONNECTIVITY: Enjoy travel ready technologies like USB charging and Wi-Fi connectivity to your mobile device; HDMI D (Micro), Micro-USB and USB 2.0 provide additional connectivity to your favorite devices.Max Resolution:4896 x 3672
The Panasonic Lumix offers a 60x optical zoom and 18.9 megapixels. Together, that means great distance shots. It shoots video in 4k and has a touchscreen for added flexibility. It has a low-light sensor as well to aid in dimly lit environments.
We found this price to be a great deal for the video quality and megapixels of the camera.
EASE OF USE
Even though the build of the camera is well-done, the lack of a stabilizing grip as well as the confusing navigation system we encountered in manual mode lowered this model’s rating. Though the touchscreen does help navigation, adjusting specs in manual mode was unnecessarily complicated.
While this camera includes standard accessories, the reason we lowered the rating was due to the lack of a standard charger. Instead it includes a USB to charge in-camera, which meant if we wanted to wall-charge it instead of charging by computer, we needed to purchase a wall-charger.
The manual mode options in this camera are great and the touchscreen grants even more, however the navigation system is sub-par.
A standard 1-year warranty includes parts and labor but does not include maintenance or anything beyond manufacturer error.
- NIKON AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full Nikon USA WARRANTY
- COOLPIX B500 Simply Brilliant Photos & Video - Simple to Use SUPER-ZOOM
- 16MP 40x optical Zoom/80x Dynamic Zoom SUPER TELEPHOTO NIKKOR ED Lens
- BUILT-IN WI-FI, NFC & BLUETOOTH low energy (BLE) maintain a constant connection with a compatible SMARTPHONE or TABLET - Shoot from creative angles with the tilting 3.0-inch 921,000-dot LCD - Simple, convenient operation for stress-free shooting - 1080p Full HD video recording with stereo sound
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16GB UHS Class 10 Memory Card, Up to 80MB/s Read Speed - Deluxe Camera Case - 4x 2950mah Rechargeable AA Batteries w/ AA Charger - Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Digital Download - 12-inch Rubberized Spider Tripod, Large (Red) - LCD/Lens Cleaning Pen - Hi-Speed SDHC Memory Card Reader - Trifold Memory Card Wallet - Lens Cap Keeper - 3pcs Lens Cleaning Kit - Beach Camera Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
The Nikon B500 offers 16 megapixels and a 40x optical zoom as well as a low-light sensor. It shoots full HD 1080p video at 30 frames per second and has Bluetooth and Wi-fi connectivity. 7.4 frames per second is its max for continuous shooting and it can be controlled via remote or smartphone.
From what we saw, this is a great deal. The megapixels may not be as high as other options, but for the added technology this is a good price.
EASE OF USE
This camera is simple to pick up and start with, however it does not include a manual mode, which meant we were relying solely on the various artistic modes to create a good shot.
Standard accessories were included and worked well.
The sole grip this model is equipped with works well and is well sized, however there is no secondary grip. The lack of a manual mode also lowers quality here as well.
Nikon includes a 1-year warranty that covers manufacturer errors but does not cover maintenance.
Conclusion: Verdict on the Nikon P610
Based on our research and the reviews we found, the Nikon P610 is a good option for those wanted to start operating a DSLR. The megapixels are lower than what we would want for a professional camera, but it would work well for a first camera for those who have an interest in the field. Since excluding the megapixels, this camera offers good specs and added design features to increase ease of use and artistic options.